« I'm Not Complaining, But Those Grapes Did Taste a Bit Sour | Main | Kerry's Long Record His Biggest Liability »
A poll by the Australian newspaper Daily Telegraph finds that a 2-1 majority favors eliminating the British monarch as head of state and officially becoming a republic:
Fewer than one in three (30 per cent) believe the Queen should remain as head of state while 64 per cent favour an Australian in the position.
The national poll of 1200 people shows that support for removing the Queen has grown significantly since the referendum on the Republic in 1999, which was defeated 55 to 45 per cent, and a Newspoll in December 1995, when 56 per cent supported the change.
Most Americans may not even be aware that Queen Elizabeth is the official head of state for Australia as well as the UK. Five years ago, Australia held a referendum on the continuance of this tradition, which was approved by 10 points. The public mood has shifted considerably in the past five years, although Australians overwhelmingly want to keep their current flag and national anthem. If public support remains this strong, expect to see another referendum on the republic in the near future.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!