« Howard Stern Goes Silent After Racist Caller | Main | Blogopoly: Captain's Quarters, Literally! »
Oh, the irony ... French researchers have found a link between oral sex and oral cancer:
Although the risk is small and it is more likely to result from heavy drinking and smoking, scientists have uncovered evidence that oral sex can cause mouth cancer. Researchers had suspected that a sexually transmitted infection that is linked to cervical cancer could also be associated with tumors in the mouth.
Now a study by researchers working for the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France seems to have confirmed it.
The culprit appears to be the human papilloma virus (HPV), which is also suspected to be a factor in cervical cancer. The findings indicate no difference in risk between genders. Oral sex, though, represents a much smaller (but still significant) risk than tobacco and alcohol.
Having information on health risks does empower us to make better choices with our lives. However, I highly doubt that the results of this study will have much impact on current sexual practices. The notion of a Surgeon General's warning on genitalia should keep Photoshoppers busy for the next couple of weeks, though.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!