« The Brewing War Over Judicial Nominations | Main | Watcher's Council Winners »
The BBC reports that Saddam's hired a mouthpiece. Anyone want to guess where he found one?
A French lawyer who made his reputation defending some of the world's most notorious figures says he will take on Saddam Hussein as his latest client. In his long career, Jacques Verges defended Nazi war criminal Klaus Barbie, Carlos the Jackal and former Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic. Mr Verges says the request came in a letter from Saddam Hussein's nephew, Ali Barzan al-Takriti. ...
Mr Tikriti sent the following message to Mr Verges: "In my capacity as nephew of President Saddam Hussein, I commission you officially via this letter to assure the defence of my uncle".
So the French stand ready to defend Saddam once again, in a truly touching continuation of the long-term Franco-Iraqi alliance. With such a client list, Saddam certainly picked the right ambulance-chaser, and Jacques Verges shows that he's moving up in the world, at least in terms of body count. It's telling, however, that Mr. Tikriti couldn't bring himself to hire an Iraqi lawyer for Uncle Saddy. That speaks volumes about the man, and both countries as well.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!