« White House Delays Rice Confirmation Hearings | Main | Memo To Hysterical American Leftists: This Is What Vote Fraud Looks Like »
Pakistan has decided it has done all it can with troops in the South Waziristan area of the border regions with Afghanistan and has withdrawn its checkpoints and most of its troops:
The Pakistani army announced Saturday that it would withdraw hundreds of troops from a tense tribal region near Afghanistan where Osama bin Laden and his top deputy were believed to be hiding.
The withdrawals from the South Waziristan area come after several military operations by thousands of troops against bin Laden's al Qaeda organization and its supporters in recent months.
Although the Pakistanis claim that no trace of Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri has been found, some still believe the terror masterminds to be hiding in that region. Pakistan, however, has alienated the local tribes during its missions to seek out and destroy al-Qaeda assets in the region, and this move looks like an attempt to mollify tribal chiefs and encourage them to assist with the effort against terrorism. Their track record suggests that the encouragement will fall on deaf ears.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!