« Independent? Really? | Main | Pincus Still Has Truth Issues »
My new Daily Standard column is up today, titled "Exit Strategies". It looks at the lack of commitment in evidence today in what used to be our most basic social model -- marriage -- and how that lack of commitment gets reflected in our politics.
This started as a post last week ("Sometimes And Whenever") about the increasing popularity of vows that avoid lifetime commitments. We covered this topic on the Northern Alliance Radio Network last Saturday as well. We had a lot of fun trying to predict the next variation of marriage that would lower the commitment level even less than that of today. Some suggestions:
* One-year contracts with mutual renewable options (sports fans would love these)
* Pre-paid marriage cards -- if things are going well, just put some more time on them
* Cell phone minutes -- sort of like the pre-paid cards, only you get your weekend minutes for free. (Big penalties for roaming, however.)
If you have any other suggestions, leave them in the comments!Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!