« Reid Discovers Democracy, Leaves Bad Taste In His Mouth | Main | Gray Lady Loses Respect For Security Council »
Someone in the Iraqi Interior Ministry has some explaining to do, according to the AP. An Iraqi lawyer says that two dozen of Saddam's henchmen have been let out of prison and have fled the country, including two notorious leaders of Saddam's biological-weapons programs:
An Iraqi lawyer said Monday that about 24 former top officials in Saddam Hussein's government have been released from jail in Iraq, and some have left the country.
A legal official in Baghdad said Rihab Taha, known as "Dr. Germ," and Huda Salih Ammash, known as as "Mrs. Anthrax," were among those released. Iraqi officials did not immediately confirm the information.
No other details have come out as yet. If true, it could either mean a jailbreak with help from Ba'athist sympathizers within the outgoing Iraqi government, or it could also indicate some kind of plea deal. The latter seems rather unlikely, especially since the top officials in the Hussein government had many of their own crimes for which to answer, as well as complicity in Saddam's crimes. It sounds more like a foul-up of the worst order.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!