« RNC Blogger Forum: Hearing Live-Blog, Day 1 | Main | RNC Blogger Forum: Economic Strategy »
After a lengthy afternoon of pontificating Senators, we finally get to hear from the nominee himself for the first time. He seems very calm and reserved. He gives a self-deprecating joke to start about his approach to his confirmation, and then speaks movingly about his family. His father fought in WWII and became a teacher thanks to the kindness of someone in his community giving him a $50 scholarship.
Alito also talks about the honor of representing the government, and of spending the last fifteen years as an appellate jurist, and commiserates with anyone who had to read through his hundreds of opinions ...
Not much in terms of blockbusters in Alito's speech. The best part of it was its brevity, second only to his refusal to take himself so seriously.Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!