« Swiftvets Take The Words Right Out Of John Kerry's Mouth | Main | Captain's Caption Contest #24: Kerry Undercover »
I posted below that I would love to get the chance to be credentialed for a John Kerry press conference where he would face all questions regarding his Swiftboat service. A reader suggested that I share what questions I would prepare for such an event, assuming it ever happened, which I believe is now unlikely. The challenge is irresistable, though, and so here are the top three questions I would put to Kerry, given the opportunity.
1. For over two years, you and David Alston have spoken about your combat service together and used the engagements of 29 January and 28 February as examples of your combat bond. However, your campaign recently recanted both stories, as records show that you were not part of the 29 January engagement and Alston did not participate in your Silver Star mission. How could it be possible for you to mistake Ted Peck's mission for your own, given that his injury allowed you to take command of his ship the next day, and with the picture of your crew from the Silver Star engagement in your office, how could you allow David Alston to take credit for that mission?
2. Senator, your first Purple Heart came from an event on 2 December 1968 which you describe on your website as "intense combat". Yet, your authorized biography, based on your journals, shows your passage for 11 December 1968 as saying that 'A cocky feeling of invincibility accompanied us up the Long Tau shipping channel because we hadn't been shot at yet, and Americans at war who haven't been shot at are allowed to be cocky'. The Long Tau trip came after the 2 December engagement. How can you reconcile your journal entry with your report that led to the first Purple Heart? Can you have "intense combat" when no one shoots at you?
3. During your public life, you have often spoken of the epiphany you experienced as a young man in Cambodian territory on Christmas Eve 1968, ordered there by the government run by the man who you heard that day denying any involvement in Cambodia. You told that anecdote as far back as 1979 and as recently as 1994, and even used it on the floor of the Senate in 1986 to argue against supporting the Nicaraguan contras, claiming the event was "seared" into your mind. Yet when your crewmates and your own journal proved that to be incorrect, your campaign responded by claiming you never said it, and then that you meant you were only near Cambodia, and then that you went into Cambodia inadvertently, and then that you went there to support Special Ops insertions. Given that all of these explanations are mutually exclusive, how would you explain to undecided voters these sudden changes in your story and how that affects the credibility of the epiphany that you earlier claimed changed your entire life?
Then I would offer him a copy of the form 180 I would take care to pack for just such an occasion, in order to assist him in getting the truth out about his service record.
Now, if you had the same opportunity, what questions would you ask?Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference My Top Three Questions For A John Kerry Press Conference:
» WaPo and NYT see the blood in the water, but still won't look for its source; can't they remember the "five Ws and an H"? from BeldarBlog
Beldar tries to lend a hand to the NYT and WaPo reporters who seem shocked, shocked that the SwiftVets vs. Kerry controversy has legs. [Read More]
Tracked on August 21, 2004 12:47 AM
» Questions for Kerry from Watcher of Weasels
Captain Ed has a list of questions he would like to ask at a Kerry press conference, if given the chance to ask them... I thought that I'd try tossing out a few (ok, maybe four) of my own. Question... [Read More]
Tracked on August 21, 2004 3:24 PM
» Miller's Twelve Pack from Miller's Time
It seems that work and school got the better of me last week, so I was unable to put the Twelve Pack together. That does not mean, however, that there was not a plethora of great posts out there. Here is a sampling in this week's Twelve Pack: [Read More]
Tracked on August 22, 2004 5:56 PM
» "Chill Wind Blowing" - Part 3 from New England Republican
First the Kerry campaign threatened to sue TV stations that aired the Swift Vets ads. That didn't work so they tried ignoring them. Now all of a sudden, they are demanding that the publisher pull their book "Unfit for Command". If the publisher doesn... [Read More]
Tracked on August 23, 2004 7:12 PM
» Questions for John Kerry from it comes in pints?
Several people have made lists of questions they would like to ask John Kerry. A very brief search showed this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one and this one (Heh... [Read More]
Tracked on September 1, 2004 4:47 PM
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!