« US Finally Pushes IAEA To The UN On Iranian Nukes | Main | Silver Star Spot Report Surfaces »
Ratherbiased.com has an instant transcript of Dan Rather's latest evasion of the charges that he used forgeries in a crude attempt to smear George Bush. After noting, finally, that not all of the critics of the documents are "political partisans", Rather latches onto a very arcane defense in order to establish their authenticity:
Rather: Richard katz, a software designer found other indications in the documents. He noticed the lower case l is used in documents instead of the actual numeral one. That would be difficult to reproduce on the computer today.
If you were doing this a week ago or a month ago on a normal laser jet printer, it wouldn't work. The font wouldn't be available to you.
Really? I could also note that the Selectric had a number 1 as well as the lower-case l, unlike some other typewriters of the time. If you think that authenticates the documents, then consider the non-typographical issues in them:
1. CBS says the documents came from Killian's personal files, which Killian's family says he never kept.
2. CBS "authenticated" these documents with retired General Bobby Hodges by telephone, who now says he was misled and the documents are probably forged.
3. One of the documents -- the "CYA" memo -- references improper influence by a general who had retired 18 months before the memo's date.
4. None of the memos use standard format for the Air Force or Air National Guard at the time.
5. Colonel Killian didn't like to type, and would be unlikely to have typed any personal notes, to file or anywhere else, again according to his family and to the personnel director (Rufus Martin) with whom he worked during Bush's TANG period.
There are so many holes in these documents that trying to plug them with a 1 or an l is laughable. Rather continues to fiddle while CBS burns. (And do you see any difference between the two here? I'm not using any exotic font for my blog!)Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Dan Rather: Lower-Case 'L' Means We Win:
» Fisking Rather from Politicalities
Dan Rather's latest pathetic excuse for a defense of the forged memos is so absurd, so devoid of substance, that quite frankly I'm beginning to wonder if he's deliberately trying to destroy his own and his network's reputation. Perhaps he's [Read More]
Tracked on September 13, 2004 7:26 PM
» WANTED: CBS/BLOGGER-RELATED VIDEO from Blogumentary
Attention blogosphere! If anyone has video related to the CBS Forgery debacle mentioning bloggers, particulary Power Line, Blogumentary needs to talk to you. In particular, the FOX News debate from last Friday where Jonathan Klein [former VP of CBS News] [Read More]
Tracked on September 13, 2004 9:09 PM
» PM Rathergate Roundup from Rathergate.com
Allah's got a good recap of Joseph Newcomer's appearance on Cam Edwards' radio show: "No ifs, ands, or buts. The first time he saw one of the memos it was a "roll-on-the-floor-laughing situation." His colleagues "look at this and laugh as hard... [Read More]
Tracked on September 13, 2004 10:30 PM
» Typography, Democracy and Fear of Falling from Demosophia
There's a world of difference between calligraphy and typography, and that difference seems not merely of critical empirical significance to the investigation of the authenticity of the "Bush/Guard Documents," but in a much deeper sense is symbolic of ... [Read More]
Tracked on September 14, 2004 12:31 AM
» Rather Tries the Chewbacca Defense from Watcher of Weasels
Dan Rather is still clinging to the delusion that his precious memos are authentic, and the arguments being advanced on his program to defend that position are getting even more absurd... in an interview with Richard Katz (a so-called expert... [Read More]
Tracked on September 14, 2004 1:59 AM
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!