« In Mogadishu, It's Miller Time | Main | The Point Of No Return (Update and Bump) »
Here's a story that managed to fly under the radar during Christmastime. Suzanne Magaziner, the wife of Clinton friend and organizer Ira Magaziner and herself a major activist with ties to the new Governor in Massachusetts, got her drunk-driving charges mysteriously dismissed despite failing a Breathalyzer and field sobriety tests (via Newsbeat1):
A politically wired campaign fund-raiser with ties to Gov.-elect Deval Patrick and former President Clinton has been cleared of drunken driving charges, despite allegedly failing sobriety tests and blowing over the legal limit on a Breathalyzer.
Suzanne Magaziner, a Patrick campaign organizer married to ex-Clinton adviser Ira Magaziner, was busted April 4 in Mansfield after a trucker spotted her swerving on Interstate 95, the Sun Chronicle of Attleboro reported.
State police who pulled over Magaziner, 54, said she had bloodshot eyes, alcohol on her breath and failed sobriety tests. She also reportedly blew a .12 on a breath-alcohol test, which is above the state’s legal limit of .08.
But the case was tossed out of Attleboro District Court on Friday at the request of a prosecutor from Bristol District Attorney Paul F. Walsh Jr.’s Office. The prosecutor, Roger Ferris, told the Sun Chronicle the case was dismissed at the request of his superiors.
In case CQ readers don't recognize the name, Ira Magaziner served as Hillary Clinton's chief advisor on the universal health-care debacle in the opening days of her husband's administration. Afterwards, instead of retiring, Magaziner stuck around as Clinton's "Internet Czar" Deval Patrick, who just took office as Governor of Massachusetts, worked in the Clinton Department of Justice. Suzanne just got done working on Patrick's election, raising funds and organizing on behalf of the Clinton protege.
In this case, it might be a whodunit as to which of Ferris' superiors got Magaziner off the hook, but there's no mistaking why. The Boston Herald talked to state trooper Brian McKenna about the traffic stop and the reasons Magaziner found herself under arrest:
* She failed the ‘Touch the Tip of the Pen’ Test: “Failed to touch the tip of the pen with index finger as instructed. Repeatedly reached out to touch the tip of the pen before being told to do so.”
* She failed the ‘Horizontal Gaze’ Test: “Failed to keep head still numerous times as instructed.”
* She failed the ‘Nine Step Walk and Turn’ Test: “Failed to touch heel to toe on all 9 steps out and 4 of 9 steps back”; “Stopped while walking”; “Stepped off the line”; “Used arms for balance”
* She failed the ‘One Leg Stand’ Test: “Put foot down on count of 3 on first attempt” and second attempt; “Failed to complete the test”
They didn't release her for her model cooperation, either. McKenna says that she repeatedly asked to be let go, and then refused to enter the cell when she was brought to the station for booking. Magaziner then, ironically, lectured McKenna about abuse of power.
And then the district attorney or his bosses forced the prosecutor to drop the charges against Patrick's fundraiser and the friend of the Clintons.
No, nothing to see here ... just move along, people.
UPDATE: Welcome, Instapundit readers!Sphere It View blog reactions
TrackBack URL for this entry is
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Favoritism Shown For Clinton Pal?:
» “Each of us may run out of time…” from The Anchoress
I confess, this morning I turned to Captains Quarters - as I do every morning, because Ed is the best - and I read this story about yet another Clinton pal breaking the law with impunity (ala Sandy Berger, whose “sentence” for stealing clas... [Read More]
Tracked on January 3, 2007 8:24 AM
» Dem FoB gets pass on drunk driving charge.. from Eclipse Ramblings
Catching up on stuff here. Suzanne Magaziner, wife of long time Clintonite Ira Magaziner and a big supporter of the new democrat Governor of Massachusetts walked away scott free after failing a Breathalyzer and multiple field sobriety tests. ... ... [Read More]
Tracked on January 5, 2007 6:52 AM
My Other Blog!
Comment Moderation Policy - Please Read!
Skin The Site
Des Moines Register
International Herald Tribune
The Weekly Standard
The New Republic
AP News (Yahoo! Headlines)
Guardian Unlimited (UK)
New York Times
Los Angeles Times
- dave on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- brooklyn on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- rbj on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- Ken on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- Robin S. on Requiem For A Betrayed Hero
- RBMN on Hillary Not Hsu Happy
- NoDonkey on Another National Health Care System Horror Story
- Robin Munn on Fred Thompson Interview Transcript
- filistro on When Exactly Did Art Die?
Proud Ex-Pat Member of the Bear Flag League!